Fighting in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz has forced many hospital staff to flee, officials said on Thursday, further jeopardising medical care for hundreds of people, Al Jazeera report. Street-to-street gun battles have continued for four days after Taliban fighters slipped past the city's defences on Monday. The fighting has forced as many as 10,000 people from their homes in Kunduz, the United Nations reported, with those who remain facing serious water, food and electricity shortages, as well as threats from the fighting. Government troops, backed by US special forces and air raids, have repeatedly declared that they are in control of the city, but residents report that heavy fighting has forced many people to leave. Among those fleeing the city are about 70 percent of the staff at the city's main public hospital, which was hit by rockets and small arms fire, said Marzia Yaftali Salaam, a doctor. The 200-bed public hospital is the main provider of medical care in Kunduz after a more advanced trauma centre run by Doctors Without Borders (MSF) was destroyed by an American strike last year. In the past three days, the hospital has been inundated by at least 210 patients, many of them civilians, including women and children, injured in the fighting, Salaam said. "Many of the wounded had to be carried to clinics in surrounding districts and private clinics in the city," she said. "If the situation remains the same, we may be forced to halt our services."